Wednesday 7 November 2007

Crusader's cup always half full

Northside Chronicle
Wednesday 31/10/2007 Page: 35

HAPPY by name and nature is an apt description for Dr Mal Happy, the jovial co-founder of the Brisbane North Climate and Water Action Group. Yet the Kedron neurophysiologist turned climate crusader is serious about climate change, dedicating much of his energy to projects such as designing a powerplant/desalination plant powered by wave motion and a film series aimed at getting people motivated about climate change.

Dr Happy said his interest in such topics as renewable energy had its roots growing up in the US. "When I was a kid I built a hydrogen generator," he said. "I was about nine or 10 at the time." "It was just so clean because the only waste product was water and I though this really has potential." "I was always working on something (as a child) and there would be explosions quite often all around the house, which did worry my parents a little bit."

Dr Happy said his focus at the moment was trying to create a film or television series that would encourage people to make worthwhile differences in the effort to combat climate change. "I worry that people will see how bad things are and just give up," he said. "You have to make these things interesting so that people will want to see them."

0 comments: